Illinois waives overweight load fees for transporting COVID-19 emergency relief
(NOTE: See also Governor Pritzker’s letter dated March 15, 2020, which specifically defines the waiver as applying only to emergency/relief supplies in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.)
In response to COVID-19 pandemic a Presidential Declaration of Emergency has been declared for the nation. To assist with emergency response/relief as defined in the Presidential Declaration, overweight and over dimension loads not exceeding 14 feet in width and 100 feet in length are hereby authorized to be transported on roads under jurisdiction of the State of Illinois with the following restrictions:
1) A copy of this authorization, the Presidential Declaration, and bill of lading must be in the possession of the operator during the progress of the movement and shall be available for inspection upon request to any police officer or any authorized employee of the Department of Transportation.
2) Undertaking the movement is evidence that both the owner and operator of the equipment agree to abide by the conditions include in this AUTHORIZATION and all other non-exempted requirements for oversize/overweight loads.
3) Haulers may carry up to 88,000 lbs on 5 axles or an additional 10% above legal loads on fewer axles.
4) There is no fee associated with this authorization.
5) Haulers must review Obstructions and Restrictions at www.gettingaroundillinois.com and obey all structure postings and size/weight restrictions.
6) Movements are authorized 24 hours per day, 7 days per week except during inclement weather.
This AUTHORIZATION is effective immediately and expires upon April 12, 2020. Violation of any of the conditions of this AUTHORIZATION will subject the owner and operator to arrest, pursuant to the promisions of Section 625 ILCS 5//15/-301(j) and any other applicable portions of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
For the Department,
Omer Osman, P.E.